Greetings Treasurers,

Being the treasurer of a business is a big responsibility and I just want to help you by letting you know when things are due. The PTA is a business, a 501(c)(3) incorporated nonprofit, that must follow the law and rules of business. I have heard a few horror stories of previous treasurers not understanding that things must be filed by the due date (or better yet, before the due date). Don’t get fined by the government entities or lose your nonprofit status by not filing on time. There is a lot of information in this email, but please don’t feel overwhelmed!
PTACHC and MD PTA are here to help you.

Items due (in chronological due date order) are:

1. Financial review (also know as the audit)

2. Membership dues

3. PTA Council dues (scholarship donation)

4. 990EZ/990N

5. Charitable renewal

Most can be done long before their due dates.

Details are below for each:

1. Due by October 30: Financial Review/Audit

– You must send a copy to MD PTA within 120 days of the end of the fiscal year. Since the PTA fiscal year ends June 30, it is due by October 30. Email to:, or fax to 410-760-6344, or snail mail it to: MD PTA, 5 Central Ave, Glen Burnie, MD 21061. Whichever way is easiest for you. Don’t forget to keep a copy for your permanent file.

2. Due by October 31: State/National Membership Dues

– Your first payment is due to MD PTA. Send $4.25 per membership sold. Use the invoice MDPTA sends you, if you have not received your membership cards and/or invoice, contact MD PTA ( or 410-760-6221). DO NOT pay the entire amount, pay only for the memberships sold each month. Then every month where you sell memberships, remit the correct amount to MD PTA. A final remittance is due on June 30th along with the return of all unsold membership cards. Remember – do not destroy any damaged cards; all unsold cards must be returned to MD PTA.

3. Due by November 1: PTA Council Dues of $170

– The invoice is found on our website at Invoice for Dues & Scholarships

PTACHC Scholarship Fund – Donations to the PTACHC scholarship fund are accepted year round but preferably before March. There is information about our scholarship program on our website (, click on the Scholarship tab under the Programs tab.

4. Due by November 15: 990N or 990EZ (whichever is appropriate – see below)

For more details, read the MD PTA’s Cash Encounters Guide and Forms booklets available on the MD PTA website (

– File 990N if your gross receipts are less than $50,000.

After you submit the 990N online form, you will receive a confirmation email. Forward that email confirmation to MD PTA –

– File 990EZ if your gross receipts are more than $50,000 and less than $200,000 and include Schedule A.

Send a copy to MD PTA and keep a copy for your records.

– Form 990N must be filed online at: IRS 990 Filing

This is a different site then in previous years and you must register to use it before filing your 990N. More information can be found at:  Filing 990

– Form 990EZ can be downloaded from: 990EZ

and Schedule A from:  Schedule A Form Public Charity Status
The completed forms need to be mailed to the IRS.

5. Due by December 30: Maryland Charitable Registration Update

– If your PTA’s gross receipts are less than $25,000, you should file the Exempt Organization Fund-Raising Notice which can be found at:  Maryland Fund Raising Notice Form

For those with gross receipts of more than $25,000, information on completing the appropriate form is found at:  Maryland Annual Update Form
If you filed a 990N and are not eligible to file the Exempt Organization Fund-Raising Notice you will also need to file a COF-85 available at:  COF-85 Form & Instructions

The completed forms need to be mailed to the MD Secretary of State. After filing, don’t forget to send a copy to MD PTA and keep a copy for your files.

You can, and should, be working on Numbers 1, 4, and 5 now. Once you get those done, you won’t have any other forms to work on until after New Year’s when the Personal Property Return is due by April 15th.

Don’t put off what can be done now. Stay on top of things and if you have any questions, please email me at:

Laurie Ramey